|Christ Episcopal Church, 2008
Click: "I am Episcopalian"
Who we are:
We are followers of Jesus Christ and accept him as our Lord
and Savior. We put our whole trust in his grace and love.
Christ Church is a parish in the Episcopal Diocese of West Virginia, led by our Bishop The Rt. Rev. W. Mitchie Klusmeyer.
Our diocesan family is made up of over 70 congregations spread throughout the state of West Virginia.
The Episcopal Church is part of the world-wide
Anglican Communion. This Communion offers a rich tradition of being both Catholic, meaning true to the universal, historic
Christian faith -- and Protestant, meaning reformed and evangelical in its theology.
Christ Episcopal Church, Point Pleasant, West Virginia, was organized as a parish July 20, 1867,
in the Diocese of Virginia with The Rev. Horace Hayden as Rector. The Diocese of West Virginia was not separated from
the Diocese of Virginia until 1877 more than a decade after West Virginia became a state. During a time of rapid commercial
and population growth, Episcopal churches were organized in towns and villages throughout the state by enthusiastic,
hard-working citizens guided by Bishops who traveled mainly on horseback. This new wave
of evangelism brought many people to Christ and created new congregations able to worship and proclaim the Good News in the
And so, in Point Pleasant in 1869, the construction of a new brick church building was begun. Following the
resignation of Fr. Hayden, The Rev. T.H. Lacy became rector in August of 1873 and completed the church building at a cost
of about $6,000. The Rev. Joshua Cowpland became rector in 1881 and on June 17, 1882, Christ Episcopal Church was Consecrated. In 1883 the parish purchased a rectory. The church suffered floods in February 1884 and 1913 which damaged the building beyond repair.
The structure was demolished in 1919 and undaunted, the congregation held services in the Spencer Hotel,
now the Lowe Hotel, until the opening of a new church building on Christmas Day 1923. Both the new church and parish house, of Gothic Revival design with walls of Bedford
limestone, were created by one of America's most famous architects, Ralph Adam Cram who designed The Cathedral of St.
John the Divine, New York. On May 28, 1924, Bishop William Gravatt assisted by Bishop Coadjutor R.E.L. Strider Consecrated the buildings. In 1958, a new wing for Christian education was added to the parish hall.
Church is associated with the Riverbend Episcopal Ministries which includes Grace Episcopal Church, Ravenswood and St.
John's Episcopal Church, Ripley. The Priests who care for these churches are The Rev. Raymond J. Hage who serves
as Missioner and The Rev. Marie Mulford.
Spirit gave birth to Christ Church 142 years ago and continues to energize and guide our congregation. Something's happening here at Christ Church: something hopeful, something wonderful, something joyful.
It looks like gestation and birth. It feels like love.*
Come and See. (*based on a quote from P. DeChardin)
Let us know if there are historical events or updates you would like to share with
Christ Episcopal Church * 804 Main Street (Mailing Address: P.O.Box 419) * Point Pleasant, WV * USA* 25550 * (304)675-3120
Copyright © 2009 Christ Episcopal Church,
Point Pleasant. All rights reserved.